Thank you, Orcasound App hackers!
We would like to acknowledge the tremendous contribution of time, technology, and code that have been made to our open source project. Beginning in the fall of 2018, we began participating in hackathons in Seattle and at the University of Washington. In summer, 2019, we partnered with Microsoft through their amazing hackathon community. In 2020, Orcasound became a host organization for Google Summer of Code.
In combination with our Github repositories, these events have brought many talented programmers, designers, engineers, researchers, and “geeks for good” to the project. They have made it possible to rapidly develop and refine the Orcasound app — a new way to listen for whales — based on a cutting-edge suite of inexpensive and open-source hardware and software for live streaming audio data.
So, let’s have a virtual round of applause for the following stand-out members of the Orcasound open-source community. In you’re inspired by their contributions to our Github repositories or Democracy Lab hackathons, don’t hesitate to support the Founders and Influencers directly!
Founders (long-term contributors)
Like Orcasound organizational members (who have their own amazing volunteers!), founders can raise funds under the auspices of Orcasound to support their own Orcasound efforts or the project in general. The also have shown leadership in the community and often have administrative access to key parts of the Orcasound infrastructure.
- Paul Cretu – Orcasound site & player (2017+)
- Skander Mzali – Orcasound site (2017+) & admin UI (2019)
- Steve Hicks – Orcanode repository (2018+)
- Mike Castor – UI v2 implementation (2019-2020)
- Erika Pelaez – Machine learning (2018)
- Val Veirs – Node engineering and machine learning (2017+)
- Scott Veirs – Project management (2017+)
- Ty Crisafulli – 2017 Kickstarter and design guidance (2017+)
- Christian Sarason – Orcamap repository (2018+)
- Akash Mahajan, Prakruti Gogia, and Nithya Govindarajan (Microsoft, 2019-2020) — machine learning, Pod.Cast annotation tool
- Brendan Thatcher – User research & UX/UI leadership (2020)
Influencers (major contributions)
Founders can raise funds under the auspices of Orcasound to support their own Orcasound efforts or the project in general.
- Erin – User-centered design of 2019 UI v2 (2019)
- Shawn Vita – Implementation of 2019 UI v2 (2019)
- Samantha Berk – Administrative back end (2018-19)
- Nóra Mészáros – Graphic design (2017+)
- Liam Reese – Graphic design (2017+)
- Jennifer Rogers – Machine learning & spectrograms from FLAC files (2018+)
- Kunal Mehta – Google Summer of Code student (2020)
- Diego Roderiguez – Google Summer of Code student (2020)
- v3 UI design & development team members (2020)
- Elena Bukhonok – UX/UI/design project manager
- Sam St Michael
- Michelle Bocklage
- Kristen Gillaspy
- Wei Li
- Catherine Zeng
- Carina Cheng
- Garima – Development project manager
- James Pedersen – Full stack developer
Supporters (key one-time contributions)
- Glenn Block – Prototype notifications (2019)
- Amie Dabu – User research (2019)
- Ivan Storck – Orcamap code clean-up & hydrophone locations (2020)